Monday, May 17, 2010

Baking Scones and Other Flour Heavy Recipes

What do you do when you have excess flour from all the flour bags you've been buying for art projects? Go baking crazy!!   On Friday I googled "recipes that use a lot of flour," and I chose 4 flour-heavy recipes to try.  Here's what I made:

1.  From the blog, www.101cookbooks.com, I tried the Best Pizza Dough Ever Recipe.  I definitely messed up this recipe because I used Active Dry Yeast instead of Instant Yeast.  I realized after the dough didn't rise that it makes a big difference.  Anyone want 6 hockey pucks?  I'll have to try this recipe again sometime.

2.  The second recipe I tried was more of a success.  From the blog, www.foodgal.com, the recipe was Apricot Flakey Scones.  I think these turned out nicely as you can see from the picture above.  They were a little dry and not as flakey as I would have liked.  Any suggestions for next time?

3.  The third recipe I tried was Honey Oatmeal Bread from the back of my King Arthur's Bread Flour bag.  You can also find great King Arthur Recipes on the King Arthur's Blog.  This recipe was very easy to follow!  I like how they told you exactly what kind of yeast to use and even how to mix it.  It was also the fastest bread I've ever made.  No overnight nonsense.  It came out great and made my kitchen smell soooo wonderful!  I'll definitely make this again.

4.  The final and most fabulous recipe I tried on Friday was a simple cookie recipe found on www.allrecipes.com, for White Chocolate Chunk Pecan Cookies.  I rate these cookies a 10 out of 10!  No joke!  I brought them to a party on Sunday and people were gobbling them up.  Try the recipe and you'll see how easy and delicious they are.  Mmmmmm.

Let me know if you have any more ideas for recipes that use a lot of flour.  I still have more to burn!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment